It looks as if Nintendo of America has a “solution” for the door glitch in Metroid: Other M. Instead of issuing a downloadable patch, they have given instructions on avoiding the glitch. However, if you do encounter it, you can send in your Wii or SD card (with save data), and Nintendo will repair it. Below is the official statement from Nintendo.
Metroid Other M – Locked Door In Sector 3
Thank you for playing Nintendo products. We have identified an issue with Metroid Other M, which was released on August 31, 2010. While this happens in only rare instances, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have posed to our players.
There is a door in Sector 3 that cannot be unlocked and opened. It remains red and locked, making it impossible to advance in the game.
Location Of The Door:
The door that remains red and locked is located in the basement of the Desert Refinery in Sector 3. After defeating the crustacean boss enemies located on the top level of the Desert Refinery, an elevator appears that goes down to this area. The door can be found on the other side of the wall from the three Grapple Points.
The Cause Of This Problem And How To Avoid It:
This sequence of events will cause the door in Sector 3 to remain locked:
- In the room after the large lava area in Sector 3, battle the Space Pirates to unlock the Ice Beam.
- Proceed to the second room ahead.
- Defeat the enemies with spiked, purple legs to unlock the door at the end of the room.
- To create the issue: Do not go through this door and instead backtrack to the room where the Ice Beam was obtained. Continuing to play from here creates the issue.
- To avoid the issue: Proceed through the door that was just unlocked at the end of the room before doing any backtracking to any previous rooms.
FIXING THE ISSUE
If you are experiencing this issue, we are able to resolve it by fixing your save data. For instructions on how to set up a repair by sending us your save file on an SD card, or for other options, please call 1-800-255-3700. Representatives are available from 6:00 am to 7:00 pm (PST) seven days a week.