Wii Firmware Update 4.3 is out… blocks Homebrew Channel

Wii Firmware Update 4.3 is out… blocks Homebrew Channel

by Hassan AhmedJune 21, 2010

null

Nintendo has released a new firmware update for Wii that brings the system menu to 4.3U. As of now, the only thing known that it does is remove the Homebrew Channel. No idea on if any features were added or not, but I’ll keep you posted. Just do NOT update if you have the Homebrew Channel cause it will be removed.

UPDATE: Nintendo website confirms the new update is to remove piracy. Here’s what their website says…

Most Recent Update:
June 21, 2010

Wii Menu 4.3
Unauthorized Modifications
Because unauthorized channels or firmware may impair game play or the Wii console, updating to Wii Menu version 4.3 will check for and automatically remove such unauthorized files. In addition, there are some behind the scenes enhancements that do not affect any prominently-used features or menus but will improve system performance.

[GBATemp]

——————————–

Checkout The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Walkthrough, tips, tricks:

Hassan Ahmed
In June 2008, Hassan was offered a position at NintendoFuse, and he accepted it right away. He is a big Nintendo fan, and has owned every handheld since the Game Boy Color and every console since the Nintendo 64. Hassan's philosophy is very simple: "fun". He plays video games to escape from life for a while and just relax and enjoy. As a blogger, Hassan's focus is to provide the most detailed news articles and hands-on impressions that you will find anywhere. The more information that he can provide to the fans and readers, the better. And to further expand on his philosophy of fun and his detail-oriented goal, Hassan started up the NintendoFuse Podcast in September of 2009. Hassan has been blogging for NintendoFuse since June 2008, and he enjoys being a part of this wonderful community. He hopes to provide you with the latest and greatest Nintendo news and rumors, as well as hands-on impressions, with as much detail as possible to benefit the fans and readers.
  • June 22, 2010 at 2:00 am

I seriously JUST checked for an update about 4-5 hours ago, and didn't see anything! Barely missed it I guess.

• Yousuke Fullbuster Uzumaki
    June 22, 2010 at 2:39 am

My wii isnt connected to the internet

• Jdagenet
    June 22, 2010 at 3:44 am

man good thing i didnt update!

• Jourdy288
    June 22, 2010 at 4:04 am

*SIGH* It's their funeral…
    I'm about to buy a black Wii (I think- or I'll wait for Kinect- maybe) so I better remember to not install updates when I get it.

• The_nintendo_vampire
      June 22, 2010 at 6:32 am

dont if you enjoy using homebrew. im not toooo clear on this, but as im aware ninty took away quite a few features when they released the black wii. the only one im sure of is that you cant run DVDs off your wii, even if you have dvx installed. this also means you cant run backedup or illegal games off DVD-Rs either. check it out further. just thought you should have a heads up 😛

• Fdre
        July 13, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Did they change the nand or the disc drive? Now days we do not need dvdx installed we just need Team Tweezers new WiiMC app. Screw the rest of it lol

• June 22, 2010 at 5:15 am

homebrew is not piracy.

• DarkWish
      June 22, 2010 at 5:40 am

Yea, I know that… but to Nintendo it's basically the same thing. The only reason they're doing this is as an effort to remove piracy.

• Fdre
        July 13, 2010 at 3:31 pm

That's right. No significant updates in the last two yrs that mean anything to the consumer other than 4.0 update. everything else is bs for the most part.

• Touser23
    June 24, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Shit. I wonder how long it will take until a new version of the HBC comes out that overrides this.

• Fdre
      July 13, 2010 at 3:29 pm

HBC is NOT the problem or solution. You must wait for a new Hackmii installer for the 4.3u updated firmware.

• Doorformatt75
    June 29, 2010 at 12:44 pm

can i get anything on a wii4.3u.this sucks my wii updated on it own.

• Fdre
      July 13, 2010 at 3:27 pm

First step. Turn updates OFF! Next step Just wait til Hackmii comes out with a new exploit for 4.3u

• June 30, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Does anyone know… I received my Wii for Christmas and it came chipped, much to my protests (I've worked in the gaming industry and I'm opposed to using pirated games). Now I'm afraid to update it because I don't want it to kill my whole system, but I need to update it in order to access the Wii Shop to get points to buy songs for Rock Band… What can I do?

• sam
    June 30, 2010 at 3:26 pm

all i can say is im stuck now because my wii self updated cause i didnt for ages and it removed hbc so i cant downgrade or reinstall because it no longer recognises it thanks god i got hbc for free

• Jose
    July 1, 2010 at 9:25 pm

this sucks my wii automatically updates and now i don't got hbc i hope they make a new hbc that overrides this crap…

• Ubaidullah
    July 3, 2010 at 8:57 pm

MY WII UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY, NOW MY HOMEBRE IS BLOCKED I NEED HELP, BEFORE NINTENDO TRACK ME LOL

• Respect The Kick
    July 7, 2010 at 7:36 pm

I used homebrew on my wii, but it looks like even if you did use homebrew or not, it still won't update on certain wii's. What should I do? It won't update no matter what I do, even putting my wii at point blank of my router.

• Respect The Kick
      July 7, 2010 at 7:38 pm

I updated it before with update 4.2 to get rid of my homebrew and everything on it as I intended, but now it won't update for some reason.

• Darth
      January 23, 2011 at 2:33 am

You probably have updates turned off or not doing it right. I’ve updated several.

• Respect The Kick
    July 11, 2010 at 4:15 am

I wonder if there's a new disc game for wii that installs update 4.3 onto your wii? I don't care if it is a bad game. Just want that update so I can get this black cloud over my head to go away :(

• Xnai
    August 4, 2010 at 7:03 am

Any time I try to install it, the screen goes black, then it says the files are corrupt. “Error #4 System files are corrupt.”

• Emmanoelbs
    August 17, 2010 at 3:21 pm

will this update will remove the chip that I put him to run pirated games on the disc channel? Anyone out there already tested whether tohappen it or not?

• Wiigamerguest
    November 7, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Hello, i’ve got a question.
    My Wii is rebuilt with Wiikey, and really, the oldest wiikey.
    All the games that i have burnt on cd’s have worked, also when i updated previous wii hardware.
    But now, i had downloaded and burnt Wii Party, and i put it in my wii, and it said: Update new Wii-Hardware.
    It also says that i need to update this version, so i can play the newest games.
    And, Wii Party is one of the newest games.
    Though, all the other games i have burnt DO work still.
    What should i do?
    Update or ..?

• Connect42
    November 10, 2010 at 3:28 am

I recently got a Wii from a family member that had been “modded”. I am in the process of getting rid of all the mods and I need some help. The Wii had a modchip soldered in and I successfully removed it. I removed the “Homebrew” through the Data Managemnet section of the Wii. I am now having two issues that I believe can be corrected to put this Wii back to the original status.

1) When I try to load the Shopping Channel it begins to load and then is just a white screen that says “moved”. The actual channel seems to be missing.

2) I tried to run a “system update” it connects to the internet, begins the update and after about 30 seconds I get an error that reads “Error Code 32004 An error has occured. Unable to perform the Wii system update. Visit support.nintendo.com for assistance.” My internet connection is strong and the connection test is successful.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

• August 9, 2011 at 2:12 am

they probably have priiloader installed, hold down restart to check while booting. You’ll have to run an installer of priiloader to remove it.

• Ninjanoogut
      August 27, 2011 at 1:31 am

one option, format your wii. It will delete all the data, but should fix the problems and restore it to the original wii.

• Gehajohi
      July 19, 2012 at 11:22 am

way do you want to do that
      you think you are honest but helps only the rich to get richer still
      So you’re a thief of your own wallet …
      So you think that ridiculous high Pricing of games is fair?
      So you think all gameprogrammers must live in a castle..
      i make tires must i sell them for $500 each??
      these tires can bring you anywhere you want..
      we give everyone this opportunity therefore cost only $50-$80 a tire
      games must be between $ 12.50-$ 20 if that where so only then you hade a point

• Cassellsnaction
    December 19, 2010 at 7:56 pm

i would suggest buyin a new wii

• Ericmkrouss
    December 19, 2010 at 9:30 pm

OK! There was an update for 4.3U for some improvements (4.3.2U I’m assuming?) so then I decide I wana get reggie for NSMB Wii so i try the brawl thing for my NTCS Wii and it didn’t work! Someone help!!! PM me at youtube.com/papermariodude

• Emmanoelbs
    December 28, 2010 at 4:43 pm

when i think on download a iso to burn and play on my wii i download from gamesmax. i downloaded donkey kong country returns. this site has wii, ds, ps3, xbox games…

PS: in portuguese.

i play dk country returns without need update 4.2u to 4.3u

• davekmrhys
    December 31, 2010 at 8:31 am

i installed some of the newer ios’s and removed sd card. then updated via nintend from 3.4 to 4.3 and homebrew did not get removed lol. not sure what i had done but didnt need ind pwns. had hunted it down too..

• Jim
    January 3, 2011 at 11:52 pm

I’m a wii newbie. I am american but am in korea. i bought a wii with a korean interface. is there a way to change the f/w to an english interface, that i can read??

• Darth
    January 23, 2011 at 2:30 am

I recently updated my Wii from 4.2 to 4.3U, and all I had to do was reinstall the 4.3 Indiana Jones explolit and all works fine.

I also found out games like Epic Mickey and Just Dance play in B&W w/o the update. At least that’s what it was on mine.

• Stevendye
    March 6, 2011 at 10:43 am

hy i have neogamma7 on my wii all was fine until other day all copys wont work now any idea what i can do please as im not very good on computors regards ste

• December 30, 2011 at 12:00 am

The pirates might as well buy the game compared to the money lost & spent on parts, time, issues, broken Wii’s, cost of SD cards & discs.  All he is ending up with is a Wii with bad solder joints.  $10 man and you have the original hard copy that plays right away.  Obviously someone can’t do it better.  -NASA Electrician

January 22, 2012 at 2:49 am

i put my games that i guy on hdd so that my kids dontdestroy them. to some of us its not piracy to simply protect what we pay for.

• Olsem Wanem
        January 22, 2012 at 8:14 am

That’s exactly why I hacked my kids’ Wii.  I would cringe every time my 5-yr old picked up a $50 disk.  I don’t have a single pirated or stolen game and never will

• Chav20
    January 19, 2012 at 4:25 pm

i have updated my wii but is there ne way i can see wot is was on before i did the update

• Deedranbailey
    February 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Have a wii with a hardrive my friend attached. Has a wiiflow channel. System update wiped it out. Can I take the update off? Can I just hook up another hardrive (we have another)

• russell swallow
    February 18, 2012 at 12:57 pm

how can you get new updates when you already updated it? cuzz this wii is not letting me play any game at all its saying cannot read disk????? what do i need to do?

• james braselton
    December 27, 2012 at 2:55 pm

hi there on a question is my wii shop on wii u dont show the update icon or on the eshop eather my wii u shows 50 items on wii u e-shop and only 2 wii channels and 200 games and no i dont stop or unpluged and powered on the hole time on third update then my wii u gone in too unuaslal stuff