Wii Homebrew: A step by step guide!
Before you do any of this please read my previous post, located here. If you still want to go on after reading that, then please follow further instructions. If you’ve completed these simple steps you will have the twilight hack and the homebrew channel installed, and therefor you will be ready to enter the wonderous world of Wii Homebrew. This tutorial assumes that you do not have a modchip installed.
First off, what will you need:
- A copy of the Wii game The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- An SD card, SDHC is not supported, so only up to 2 GB. SD card must be FAT formatted
- Common sense
- A Wii
We’ll begin by installing the Twilight Hack, for more info on the Twilight Hack check my first post, located here.
- Download this file
- Extract it’s contents to your SD card, so that the Private folder is in the root of your SD card.
- If you have an American copy of Zelda, take your game disc, and check the inner circle for the revision number, like illustrated here, and remember what version you have. This should be either RVL-RZDE-0A-0 or RVL-RZDE-0A-2. Non USA attendees can skip this step.
- Now download this file
- In this archive you will find a file called “Boot.elf” place this file in the root of your SD card
- Now, insert your SD card into your Wii and turn on your Wii.
- Go into your Wii options and choose “Data Management”, now go to “Save Data” and click “Wii”
- If you already have a Zelda save file present on your Wii, then please remove it before continuing
- Now open the SD card (upper right corner) and copy over the Zelda save file for your region. PAL corresponds to Europe and Australia, NTSC-U means USA, and NTSC-J means Japan
The Wii will now copy over the Twilight Hack of your region to the Wii’s internal memory. Once it’s done doing that, you should be ready to go.
- Insert your Zelda game disc
- Boot your Zelda game
- Load the savefile called “Twilight Hack”
- Once you’re in the game, walk up to the guy in front of you and talk to him. The rest should speak for itself 😉
- The twilight hack will run boot.elf from your SD card, this is the file we placed on there before and it should begin the installation of the homebrew channel. You will have to accept the on screen agreement, and after that it will automatically finish the installation.
- The Wii will reboot and your homebrew channel will be installed.
Now you’re all set and ready to go! If for whatever reason boot.elf will not load correctly, reformat your SD card and follow these steps once more. If everything went fine you can remove all those files from your SD card, as they are no longer needed.
Now that you have the Homebrew channel installed, I will also give instructions to installing applications for it. I will use the “Scogger” game as an example, please follow the steps once more.
- Take your SD card and put it in your SD reader
- Download this file
- Create a new folder called “apps” on the root of your SD card
- In the “apps” folder, create a folder called “scogger”
- You’ll find 3 files in the rar archive, a .elf file, a .png file and a .xml file, copy all of these to the Scogger folder
That’s it, put your SD card back into your Wii console, boot the homebrew channel, and behold! Scogger has been added to the menu. In case you were wondering, the boot.elf is the actualy game itself, the icon.png holds the logo that the homebrew channel will use for it, and the meta.xml holds information about the application like a short description and the author.